The Bronx Is Blooming (BiB) engages communities and youth in environmental stewardship through the beautification of local parks. Our mission is to revitalize under-resourced open spaces in the Bronx and to inspire communities to advocate for their parkland. BIB accomplishes this by managing park restoration projects and by inspiring local youth to assume green leadership roles in ongoing maintenance efforts. This twofold approach creates a culture of civic participation that empowers Bronx residents to be drivers of local change and protectors of the borough’s natural resources.
Some of the parks have worked in the past are:
- St. Mary’s
- Macombs Dam
- Franz Sigal
- Joyce Kilmer
Since 2011, we have:
- Brought volunteer projects to 19 parks and green spaces in the Bronx
- Engaged 18,014 volunteers in 106,387 hours of service
- Stewarded over 14,016 trees
- Every summer we run the Program for Leaders Advancing their Community’s Environment (PLACE), and we have provided seasonal jobs and environmental training for over 240 Bronx students between 2013-2019.
- Piloted a weekly youth leadership after-school program with 3 Bronx high schools, fostering a connection to the local environment and advocacy for environmental stewardship
Our founder, Jennifer Beaugrand, has worked in community-led horticulture in the Bronx since 2005. She began in the Parks Department and maintains a strong relationship with the agency.